Effective Wednesday, November 18th and extended until December 20th: To help mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and following the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Epidemic Order, Independence Township Hall will remain open to the public with reduced staffing. The Senior Center, DPW, Sheriff Substation and Fire Station lobbies will be closed to the public. Please see details of operation for each of the Departments below. We are asking everyone to please wear a face mask before entering Township Hall. Township employees will also be wearing face masks as required. We are encouraging the use of Township Drop Boxes located at the north and west entrances. Employees will be checking drop boxes regularly throughout the day to process payments, permits, etc.
The Treasurer's Office is open for business during regular business hours. In an effort to prevent further spread of the COVID-19 virus, we ask that business be conducted via telephone and email as much as possible.
You can reach the Treasury at 248-625-5115 or by email at email@example.com.
Tax Bill and Water Bill Payments may be made through the following methods:
- Payment by Mail – Use the envelope provided with your statement
- Drop Box - Use the envelope provided; drop box is located at the west entrance of Township Hall
- Pay Online – Tax Bill: www.indtwptax.com -OR- Water Bill: www.indtwp.com/utilitypayments
- Cash Payment - Will be accepted although, we do request that you use another form of payment if at all possible.
- Assessing Office is open to the public
- It is encouraged to utilize the drop box for Principal Residence Exemption Forms and Property Transfer Affidavits and other correspondence
- We are available at 248-625-8114 to help and answer questions
- Due to statutory requirements the appraisal staff will be conducting field inspections for new construction, demolitions, sale verifications and fire reports
- Poverty and Veteran’s Exemption Applications must be submitted before December 15, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. We highly recommended delivery by December 1st. This allows time for a preliminary review for completeness and/or the need for additional documentation. The December Board of Review is the last opportunity to apply for a 2020 Poverty or Veteran’s Exemption
The Building Department is currently open. At this time, we are discouraging the public from entering the Department as much as possible. Therefore, we encourage all contractors to use our drop box inside the north door to the building for dropping off permits, payments and plans to limit outside exposure to our staff. Permits can also be mailed in or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The permits emailed or mailed in will not be processed until we receive payment. Inspection requests can be called in at (248) 625-8111 or requested at email@example.com. If you need to speak to the Building Official or Building Inspector, please call ahead and schedule an appointment.
If you have a Code Enforcement Complaint, please call Brian Oppmann at (248) 459-1649 directly. Additionally, if you are interested in filing for the Zoning Board of Appeals or interested in developing in Independence Township, please contact the Planning & Zoning Manager, Brian Oppmann (248) 459-1649 directly.
We are trying to limit the exposure of our staff to the public. The Independence Township Clerk’s Department is operating with limited staff on-site per day. All others are working remotely from home. While we will be available to conduct most business of the Clerk’s Office, there still are some services that have been suspended until further notice during the COVID Pandemic. We are currently not providing the following services:
- Notary Services - An approved list of electronic and remote notarization services available has been provided on the Secretary of State’s website link.
- Permits for Solicitation, Floating Retail Sales, or Special Events
It is widely encouraged that you utilize phone, email, or the drop box to submit any Clerk related business.
Please note that Voter Registrations may be mailed, dropped off in the drop box, or completed online through www.MI.gov/vote website.
The Independence Department of Public Works office located at 6050 Flemings Lake Road is closed to the public until December 8, 2020.
(248) 625-8222 during normal business hours Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm.
All Cemetery functions are fully operational
Fire Department facilities are closed to the public. The emergency services are still in full operation. Burn permits can be obtained online.
Non-emergency issues or concerns can be addressed by calling 248-625-1924 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fire Department has created an informational self-evaluation guide for our residents to use during the COVID-19 crisis. The guidance explains the difference between minor symptoms, minor symptoms with risk factors, and severe symptoms, along with the recommended steps to be taken for each. Click here to download the guide.
Until further notice, Independence Township will be freezing the hiring process for all positions with the exception of Full-Time Firefighter.
OAKLAND COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE SUBSTATION:
The OCSO Substation lobby is currently closed to the public due to COVID restrictions. All business can be done at the yellow call box on the front of the building or by calling 248-858-4950, ext 8.
PARKS, RECREATION & SENIORS:
The Parks, Recreation & Seniors will pause programs, classes, events and facility rentals effective immediately. Staff will be contacting those effected by any cancellation directly.
Meals on Wheels and Transportation Services will continue to operate during this time.
For specific Senior Community Center questions, please call 248-625-8231.
For specific Parks & Recreation questions, please call 248-625-8223.
Independence Township has launched a new hotline and e-mail address directed to our Fire Department staffed 24/7 to address COVID-19 concerns. Please e-mail HELP@INDTWP.COM or call 248-519-4410.
If it's an Emergency, dial 911.
Please refer to the Centers for Disease Control for the most up-to-date COVID-19 information.
Please refer to the Oakland County COVID-19 Web page for local information.
Comcast has opened Xfinity WiFi Free For Everyone: Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity
WiFi hotspots, visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots, and then launch a browser.
Please see the Comcast Press Release for additional information.
The Clarkston Area Chamber of Commerce has added a "Open for Carry-Out, Drive-Thru and/or Delivery" Restaurant Directory to their website.
Free meals available
Many local churches are offering Food Pantry services. Please see the interactive map entitled Meal Sites Locator here for specific locations, hours, and other details about Food Pantry services and the Clarkston Schools Free Meals Program.