Basic Requirements for Sewer Installation
Types of approved sewer pipe:
- Storm Sewer (sump pump leads) - minimum 3” Schedule 40 P.V.C.
- Sanitary Sewer Leads – 4” minimum from property line to house, minimum of 6” in road right-of-way. SDR 23.5, Schedule 40 P.V.C., ABS plastic, SDR 35 P.V.C. (in sandy conditions only).
All pipes shall have the marking of an approved testing agency, such as N.S.F., A.S.T.M., etc.
- Cleanout placement:
- Cleanouts shall be installed immediately inside or outside of the building.
- Cleanouts shall be installed at a minimum of every 90 feet or such that the total distance, including the cleanout riser and sewer lead, does not exceed 100 feet.
- All outside cleanouts shall be brought up to finish grade.
- Cleanouts shall be installed at every change of direction greater than 45 degrees.
(90 degree elbows are prohibited).
All sewer leads will be a minimum of four (4) inches in diameter with 42” of cover. All taps shall be made with approved Fernco fitting, or approved equal.
ALL TAPS AND LEADS MUST BE INSPECTED AND AP PROVED BY THE SEWER DEPARTMENT INSPECTORS, BEFORE BEING COVERED.
ALL EXCAVATORS AND CONTRACTORS TAPPING SEWER MAINS SHALL BE BONDED WITH INDEPENDENCE TOWNSHIP. MUST CARRY A $5,000 SURETY BOND AND A $500 CASH BOND.
Existing homes with septic systems connecting to the township sanitary sewer system must:
- Drain tank
- Fill with sand or crush tank
- Must call Charter Township of Independence Department of Public Works for inspection, 248-625-8222